Carlsberg South West Peninsula premier

Tavistock AFC 4

Torpoint Athletic 4

THE Lambs came back from a 4-1 half time deficit, with a tremendous second half performance to gain a draw, and missed two golden opportunities to seal victory.

The home team started brightly with Jack Crago making a fine run down the wing; his cross into the six yard box was cleared by the Torpoint defence. In the seventh minute a Bobby Hopkinson corner kick was spilled by the visitors’ keeper, and the ball was scrambled clear.

Torpoint opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Kirk Smith outpaced Joe Cook and the Lambs’ full back pulled Smith down inside the penalty area. Tom Paine converted the penalty kick to give the visitors the lead.

Three minutes later Torpoint increased their advantage when a long ball split the home defence and Smith made no mistake and finished with aplomb — giving Jack Ord in the home goal no chance of saving.

The Lambs almost reduced the arrears when Josh Robins cut in from the left, however, his fine strike was turned over the bar by Torpoint keeper Ben Hardie. It looked like game over as the visitors made it 3-0 in the 31st minute when Smith produce another fine run down the left, his square pass into the penalty area found Seb Broomfield, who slotted the ball home from eight yards.

The Lambs gave themselves some hope In the 35th minute when they were awarded a free kick 23 yards from goal. Bobby Hopkinson’s sublime free kick flew past Hardie and nestled in the corner of the visitors’ net. Three minutes before half time Torpoint restored their three goal advantage when the home defence was slit open by another long ball after a fine finish by Dan Worth.

Manager Stewart Cawte made changes at half time and altered the formation. This had the desired effect and the team certainly produced a fine second half performance.

In the 48th minute Tavistock’s Danny O’Hagan crossed into the area and found Lewis Coombes, who was brought down as he was about to shoot on goal. Josh Robins made no mistake and placed the penalty kick into the corner of the net.

The Lambs were now playing at a much greater tempo, putting the visitors’ defence under real pressure. Another O’Hagan cross found Josh Robins but his header went wide of the target.

In the 65th minute Tavistock’s Jack Crago produced a great run down the right; his cross found Robins but when really well placed he sliced his shot wide of the target from eight yards. Three minutes later Crago was fouled in the penalty area. Josh Robins calmly converted the spot kick.

The scores were level in the75th minute when O’Hagan converted a low cross from Crago. Both Lewis Coombes and Josh Robins spurned golden opportunities to complete what would have been a remarkable win, but in the end they had to settle for a draw.

There is one lesson to be learnt from this game that you can not give a team a three goal lead, through really sloppy defensive mistakes. The second half performance was superb and this is the style of play they need to take into forthcoming games.