Okehampton ladies’ firsts 1

Caradon ladies 0

OKEHAMPTON played host to fourth place Caradon, after a two week break and came into the game keen to get some desperately needed points.

Although Caradon started with the ball an interception by Elly Jenkins and some quick passing between her and fellow forward Lesley Bingham saw Oke with first chance of the game.

Midfielders Sophie Whiteley, Jess Medland and Hannah Gibbons worked tirelessly to close down any Caradon attacks and turn them into Oke chances.

Okehampton won several short corners in the first half which only produced some near misses and nothing to really test the visiting keeper. However, this did not put them off and the chances kept coming.

The pace of Anna Speak and Kim Davey on the wings was not matched by the Caradon defence and both worked hard getting the ball into the attacking D on numerous occasions.

When the ball did get through to the Oke end strong tackles and interceptions from Laura Parsons, Abi Colton, and Nicky Pedrick left goalkeeper Alice Wiseman little to do. A run of defensive short corners tested the home team but captain Sophie Whiteley made goal line clearances to keep the score nil all.

Half time saw the game scoreless but the home side looked the stronger team.

Keen not to be taken by surprise at the start of the second half Oke came out fighting again. Nicky Strawbridge used her pace and ball skills to move the ball through midfield and create more chances but still not finding the back of the net.

As Caradon started to tire, Oke took advantage. Emily Rowlands showed no signs of slowing and kept the pressure on linking well with Molly Marvin on the wing to move the ball forward.

As the pressure started to get to Caradon in the last 10 minutes they were shown a green card followed quickly after a yellow card. With only nine Caradon players left on the field Oke were keen to benefit from the numerical advantage but despite several more short corners the ball just would not go in.

Then a driving run from Whiteley followed by a shot forced the keeper to make a diving save. Bingham was quick to steel the ball from the keepers pads and turn to use her reverse stick to slot the ball into the goal.

Oke held on for the final few minutes to gain the well earned three points.