DJM Rodney U16s                

Tavistock Thistles U16s 6

Woodford Colts U16s 3

WITHIN minutes of the kick off Woodford had taken the lead.  Thistles were struggling to get themselves going - possibly missing skipper and influential centre back Steve Pryce.

Whatever it was Woodford were taking full advantage and by the midway point had doubled their advantage.

Thistles did improve but were still not playing well by the interval.  However, they had managed to half the deficit.  The improvement continued in to the second half with two goals in as many minutes and 10 minutes in to the half saw this game turnaround. 

From here Thistles went on to score at regular intervals to go 6-2 in front with still some 15 minutes to play.

Late on Woodford scored a third but by now this was no more than a consolation.

Thistles scorers were Ben Farrar, Josh Drummond with a brace and a hat-trick for leading scorer Glenn Tremblett.

DJM U16s Howe League

Torpoint U16s 10

Tavistock Town U16s 0

THE game started with Tavistock in the ascendancy. They had created a couple of chances and Torpoint had the woodwork to thank for keeping the score blank after Matt McClung had rattled the crossbar with a powerful header.

At this stage with Torpoint limited to counter-attacking, the game looked as though it was going to be an evenly contested affair. What was to follow could not have been predicted, as against the run of play, Torpoint opened the scoring with another swift attack. This had a catastrophic effect on the visitors and their ensuing lack of commitment and fight was there for all to see.

The midfield four were overrun and the back four were continually under pressure. This led to an onslaught of attacking moves from a Torpoint side playing with confidence.

At half time they had added a further four goals and could well have had more. The only bright light in an otherwise dismal performance was the continuing good form of Matt McClung who showed throughout the game what a consistently hard working and good player he is.

More fight was shown at the start of the second half, but another well taken goal from Torpoint, signalled the rout that was inevitable. Again the visitors failed to compete and another four goals were added by the rampant home side.

The group will have to bounce back next weekend when they have two hard matches.  

DJM Royal Oak U15s

Tavistock Thistles U15s 1

Morley Rangers U15s 7

THE game started competitively with both sides testing each other early. Morley Rangers were reduced to some long range shots due to excellent defending by Dean Lambert, Jordan Quin and Tom Larcombe.

Roger Blandford and Bradley Barbour were at the heart of everything in midfield, supported well by man of the match Mike Henderson and James Francis. Kieran Calvert made some excellent challanges to block strikes on goal from the Morley strike force. 

Goal scorer James Scrivener formed a good partnership with Will Hall up front, proving themselves a handful for the Rangers defence, but failed to convert a number of chances.

Goalkeeper, George Conybeare, was doing well in goal but a couple of mistakes dented his confidence. Although Morley were worthy winners, the result was flattering.

Hooe Rovers U15s 2

Horrabridge Rangers U15s 10

HORRABRIDGE'S accurate passing and interlinking play brought two early goals.

Josh Broughton opened the scoring when he beat two Hooe defenders on the left, cut back inside and cleverly prodded the ball past the opposing keeper. Josh Bainbridge then scored a peach of a goal when he ran in to meet Martin Hoar's corner kick with an unstoppable header.

Josh Bainbridge scored his second goal with a deceptive header that the Hooe keeper could only palm onto the post and into the goal. Kieran Alford added a fourth goal when he collected the ball on the edge of the box from a corner, beating a defender before hitting a low shot into the net.

Solomon Cox then tapped the ball home after the Hooe keeper could only parry a Josh Broughton shot. It wasn't long before Josh Broughton scored number six. Martin Hoar rounded off a fine first half display when he saw the keeper off his line and chipped him from 40 yards to give Horrabridge a 7-0 half-time advantage.

In the second half Hooe responded well by scoring the first of their two goals. Josh Broughton then completed his hat-rick with a fine shot into the corner of the net. Hooe then made it 8-2 before Robert Pearce scored the goal he richly deserved for his performances all season. Player of the match Jordan Eales broke down the left, sent over a good cross that Josh Broughton flicked on for Robert to beat the keeper with a clinical finish.

Horrabridge's tenth goal came after some good attacking play and a precise pass from Kieran Alford that Martin Hoar volleyed with great power into the net.

North Molton Stags 5

Oke Argyle U14s 4

GALE force conditions made for an interesting game of football as both teams struggled to gain control.

Argyle's Bolton made a great goal line clearance to prevent the Stags from scoring and soon after Oke took the lead when Ponsford struck a superb goal from 30 yards out.

Mellor-Bond added to Argyle's total with a well taken lob shot, then the  momentum of the game changed in the homesides favour and they pulled back the score to 2-2 by half time.

The Stags then pulled out a two goal lead as Oke failed to keep the ball on the ground.

With only minutes remaining Okehampton desperately fought back and Jones scored twice in quick succession as Argyle rallied together and looked like they could go on to win.

However, to Argyles frustration, as they pushed for victory the Stags broke forward and scored in the dying moments leaving Oke without at least a draw they deserved.

DJM U14s Raleigh

Elm Utd 2

Horrabridge Rangers 6

PLAYING with only 10 men, Horrabridge played their opponents off the pitch for the whole game playing some fantastic football.

The home side took the lead after five minutes with a good strike from 40 yards. Horrabridge equalised when Josh Birch turned his marker on the edge of the penalty to fire into the top of the goal. Birch then turned provider as he crossed for Billy Rawlinson to head home Horrabridge's second goal.

The second half was again one way traffic. With the defence of Will Glanville, Jack Northam and Sam Ryder playing the ball out from the back well, Horrabridge created chance after chance and Max Burgess scored his first of the game when he ran 60 yards to fire into the top corner of the goal.

Burgess soon added his second when he scored after good link up play with James Dent. Josh Birch added Horrabridge's fifth and Aaron Johnson headed home Sam Ryder's pin-point cross for the visitors final goal of the game. Elm grabbed a goal right on the final whistle.


DJM Raleigh U14s

SB Frankfort U14s 7

Tavistock Thistles U14s 1

DESPITE being two players short the Thistles displayed their best performance this season. 

A lack of concentration led to SB Frankfort scoring the first goal, however this was quickly followed by Thistles player of the match George Dean levelling the score in the first half.  Thistles continued to play some good football in the second half and there good performances in midfield by Jordan Stacey and Ben Cullen. The lack of players clearly had an effect in the second half as Thistles legs were tiring.  S B Frankfort took advantage and won 7-1. All the Thistles players are showing great improvement and the team spirit displayed was encouraging. 

l Thistles U14 are inviting anyone in year nine interested in playing football to come along for a free trial at Tavistock College Astro Turf Pitch on Wednesdays from 7-8pm or tel Gail 01822 870405.


DJM Scott U13s

YMCA Kitto Parkway U13s 2

Tavistock Thistles U13s 1

THISTLES conceded a goal in just under 2 minutes. Their response was good and they spent the rest of the first half outplaying Kitto. Some excellent football finally produced a well worked goal scored by Toby Scanlan just before half time.

In the second half Thistles took the game to Kitto and had many chances to score. Only a combination of some poor finishing and good defending from Kitto kept the score to 1-1.

Charlie Charlton dominated the midfield and Ashley Rich made his debut in defence with a good performance. Thistles pressed for the winning goal and with just four minutes to go got caught by a rare Kitto attack. In the cruellest fashion the ball dribbled across the goal line to give Kitto a 2-1 win.