BELSTONE made a poor start against Tedburn St Mary in their Buckley Cup match last Wednesday, quickly losing three wickets with just seven runs on the board.

The recovery was spearheaded by Wayne Pearce, Simon Tremain and Chris Gomersall (21) who hit 13 fours between them. According to the rules Pearce and Tremain retired at 25 but Pearce returned when all the other wickets had fallen to plunder a further 14 runs from the final over, leaving Belstone with a formidable total of 135 for 8 from their 20 overs.

Tedburn made a better start, reaching 24 for one off 5 overs but when Ingles (16) was bowled by Rob Sandercock their innings lost momentum. Chris Gomersall and Aidan Easterbrook broke through the middle order with a combined return of eight overs, six wickets for just 12 runs, one wicket falling to a spectacular one-handed catch at mid-on by Chris Spinks.

It was left to D Rich (10 not out), Baker (17) and last man M Rich (who survived a sharp chance to silly mid-on off the penultimate ball) to bat through the final seven overs, thus depriving Belstone of their final bowling point.

Last Saturday Belstone played the first game of their Cornish tour at Mount Edgecumbe. On a dry firm pitch and cropped outfield all the visiting batsmen contributed to a solid total of 190 for 7 after 42 overs.

The base for this was laid by an opening stand of 40 in 25 minutes between Dennis Edwards (20) and Wayne Pearce (22), followed by controlled aggression from Eddy Jones (5 fours and 2 sixes in his 65) and Chris Gomersall (7 fours in his 38).

Young medium pacer James Burke stuck to his task well, picking up three of the middle order at a cost of 33 runs. On a glorious summer evening Mount Edgecumbe never threatened to reach their target but nor did the Belstone attack look like breaking right through, especially in the lengthy fifth wicket partnership of 45 between of P Ware (37) and James Burke (9).

With the game drifting towards a soporific conclusion the introduction into the attack of occasional bowler Dennis Edwards proved inspired as he ended Burke?s resolute defence with a tumbling caught and bowled and claimed the scalps of Ware and next man Allatt. However, these breakthroughs came too late to prevent Mount Edgecumbe from batting out the last few overs for the draw.

On Sunday Belstone moved on to Fowey, where the home side, perhaps sensing an easy afternoon, drew their batting order out of a hat. This brought their best batsman Snell to the wicket as last man; he hit eleven off three balls before being caught low down at mid-off by Harry Bushin to end the Fowey innings on 172 after 34 overs.

Earlier, Belstone had worked their way steadily through the Fowey line-up with the accurate leg-spin of Rob Sandercock (five for 24) the pick of the attack. In a frustrating repeat of the previous Sunday?s game, rain arrived after tea to wash out proceedings with the game finely poised. Belstone openers Eddy Jones (33 not out) and Pete Gross (25 not out) both going well at almost exactly the required run rate.

South Devon League action resumes at Rew Meadow this Sunday at 2.30pm with Exeter St James the visitors, followed on Tuesday evening (July 8) by a trip to Spreyton for another Buckley Cup match.