East Cornwall premier

Tavistock AFC Res 6

Torpoint 4

TAVISTOCK Reserves of late have struggled to gain points in the last couple of games and a top four finish now seems unlikely. 

Torpoint however came to Langsford Park needing just six points to retain the league champions’ title, and a barnstorming game it was. Tavistock started with real intent and a ball in the box from the left saw Jordan Williams  score after eight mins with a fine volley.

The home side stunned Torpoint six mins later when Dan Quick fired in a second goal from close range.  Quick was a thorn in the side of the visitors all game with some great wing play and ball delivery into the box. The home side had another effort bounce off the Torpoint  crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Torpoint got back into the game on 25 minutes with a shot from outside the box that was not closed down and should have been saved. Tavistock’s lead was quashed just before half time when a sloppy free kick was pumped into the home penalty box, Tavistock’s defence and keeper did not deal with the aerial threat and the ball bounced six yards out and found the net for 2-2 at the  break.

The second half saw wave after wave of attacks by both sides and Torpoint took the lead for the first time on 55 minutes to make it 2-3.

Tavistock immediately came back at them and skipper Scott Wellington made it 3-3 with a fine first time shot that gave the keeper no chance.

Both sides pressed hard but it was the visitors who scrambled a ball over the line to go 3-4 in front. Tavistock, though, were up for the fight, though and Jack Tribble and Jordan Williams pressurised the Torpoint defence, Lewis Coombes intercepted a poor back pass to round the keeper with ease and square the scores at 4-4.

Torpoint dug in and a long hopeful ball forward was not dealt with by the Lambs’ defence resulting in a goal to the visitors making it 4-5.

Tavstock poured men forward only to be caught on the break by the visitors who put a neat passing move together to seal the game 4-6.