South West Peninsula division one East

Okehampton Argyle 4

Liverton United 4

IT was an action packed game at Simmons Park with both defences failing to control the opposition forwards and both Liverton's Dan Broadway and Argyle's Steve Kinsey grabbed hat-tricks.

The game sprang to life after seven minutes when Argyle won a corner on the left and Chris Wills' in-swinging effort was handled on the goal line by Liverton's Shane Shobrooke. The visiting defender was dismissed for deliberately preventing a goal and Okehampton's Steve Kinsey made no mistake with the resulting penalty kick.

The lead only lasted three minutes as Liverton won a free kick on the right of the Argyle box and a quick one-two left Liverton's Chris Harrity with the simple task of slotting home from close in.

The visitors played the one man disadvantage expertly and it was not at all obvious which side had the extra man with play remaining even.

After 23 minutes, Okehampton regained the lead when a ball in from the left was beautifully controlled by Steve Kinsey in the visitor's box and he turned and volleyed home past the Liverton keeper.

Once again, Argyle were unable to consolidate this lead and only two minutes later Broadway was released down the right to finish brilliantly from 25 yards giving Okes' keeper Saul Scarry no chance.

Ten minutes before the break, Argyle took the lead again with a superb goal by Chris Hollands, who was making his Peninsula league debut. A ball played in from the left was controlled by Hollands on his chest before he crashed home an unstoppable volley from fully 30 yards.

Back came the visitors again and only four minutes before half-time, a bad mix-up between two Argyle defenders left Dan Broadway free to slot home from close range to square the match.

The second half was only five minutes old when once again the Okehampton defence dealt badly with a period of Liverton pressure and as panic set in at the back, Broadway was left free to complete his hat-trick.

Argyle came back in search of an equaliser and Colin Marshall, Adam Mortimer and Chris Hollands put together several good moves down the left and Chris Wills missed a golden opportunity to level the match.

After 65 minutes, Marshall who has just returned to the club from Bodmin Town, beat two Liverton defenders and surged into the visitor's box only to be brought down from behind. Steve Kinsey stepped up to bury the resulting penalty and complete his hat-trick.

Argyle however failed to take advantage of the extra man as the match drew to a close and it was the visitors who came closest to winning when they had a player tripped in Argyle's box, but Chris Harrity blazed the resulting penalty high over the crossbar.

Outstanding players for Argyle were Colin Marshall and Chris Hollands.

On Saturday: Devon and Exeter division four. Argyle seconds v Seaton Town seconds away, kick-off 3pm. Devon and Exeter division seven – Argyle thirds v Honiton Town seconds, away, 3pm.