Devon 1

Tavistock 29

OPMs 18

IN an entertaining game played on a cold but glorious afternoon Tavistock were able to delight their fans with a victory that avenged an early season loss to an OPM side who, like the Moorlanders, are riding high in the league.

The game started well for Tavistock with early pressure being converted into points via the boot of Josh Sutton who slotted over a penalty kick from a difficult angle.

Ten minutes later Tavistock scored their first try of the afternoon. It came after a period of concerted pressure with the forwards rucking and mauling well, combined with some elusive running in the backs from the likes of Neil Evans and Lawrence.

Rob Sleep, playing hooker, scored the try, showing a good burst of speed to run the ball home.

Tavistock were looking comfortable and strong in defence until they were caught by surprise when OPMs decided to run a penalty from inside their own 22. The ball went out to the left winger who showed good pace and skill with a well executed chip and chase, eventually scoring in the corner. The teams went into half-time with the game evenly poised at 10-5.

The second period was primarily played in the opposition half thanks to good tactical kicking and further strong running by both forwards and backs. This allowed Tavistock to play their own game which resulted in an excellent try for Mike Lyddon, playing at outside centre, who scored underneath the posts after an excellent dummy fooled the OPM full back. The try was converted.

Tavistock were playing well, a fact demonstrated by the resulting kick-off which fell into to the hands of Darren Cole who rampaged back down the field, running about 50m and bouncing off several would-be tacklers.

After another break from Lyddon, who by this stage had taken a nasty knock to the head following a rather dodgy hand-off, Tavistock scored again. Lyddon was stopped just short of the line, the ball was spread quickly from left to right where prop Rob Monk was waiting on the wing for his moment of glory.

The home side?s lead was pegged back slightly following two penalties in quick succession, meaning Tavistock had to maintain their concentration. This they did superbly and were rewarded with a final try after quickly turning defence into attack. Boreham on the wing foiled an OPM move and off-loaded to Ninnis, a replacement for Lyddon, who fed Lawrence. He stormed down the wing to score and all but seal the game.

OPMs scored a consolation try and conversion in the last play of the game.

This was a good performance. The lineout worked well with Hunt and Jinner claiming much possession, which gave the half-backs a lot of ball which they used well, Sutton was on form converting four out of five attempts at goal.

The result, following last week?s demolition of Devonport (49-5) in the cup, should increase the team?s confidence as they prepare for their next league match, a tricky away fixture against Honiton in two weeks? time following a friendly game away to Wadebridge Camels.