Carlsberg South West peninsula premier

Tavistock AFC 0

Dartmouth 0

AFTER producing a tremendous performance against high flying Torpoint Athletic on the Tuesday evening recording a 4-2 victory, the team was well below par on Saturday, with the game ending in stale mate with no goals.

Dartmouth came to Langsford Park looking for points to enable them to claw their way out of the relegation places. They adopted a defensive formation that frustrated the home team.

The Lambs did create a number of opportunities to score during the game, but the attempts at goal were poor, and with the visiting keeper Sam Davies in magnificent form they kept a clean sheet.

In the 20th minute Dan Pethick played a great pass to set Levi Landricombe clear, but his shot was well saved by Davies. Two minutes later the same player scuffed his shot after Dave Hallett set him free.

The Lambs had a goal disallowed in the 35th minute when Levi Landricombe was adjudged to be in an off side position before he fired home a fierce drive past Davies. The Lambs continued to attack but the visitors defence stood firm, and in a rare break into the home defence a good shot from Rimmer was well saved by Andy Meeds. Davies then pulled off another terrific save to once again deny Landricombe from opening the scoring.

The Lambs continued to take the game to the visitors at the start of the second half, Ben Davis shooting into the side netting before John James hit the post, with the ball being cleared to safety, after a real goal mouth scramble.

In the 61st minute Landricombe shot wide when really well placed, and four minutes later Dan Pethick again sent Landricombe clear of the visiting defence, only to see his lob over the advancing keeper to go inches wide of the upright.

It was Levi's brother Micheal that then went on a penetrating run from midfield and his well struck drive from 20 yards was well saved by Davies. In the closing stages the Lambs nearly paid the penalty for not taking their chances in front of goal, when Luke Brown's fine cross just eluded the head of John Rimmer.

Just before the final whistle Jon Veale fired a fierce drive across the Lambs six yard area but there was no one on hand to turn it into the net.

This was a disappointing result as the Lambs should have taken all three points but credit must go to Dartmouth who battled away to gain a point which may well be crucial come the end of the season in their fight to avoid the drop.