Carlsberg South West Peninsula premier Tavistock AFC 8

Ivybridge Town 0

THE Lambs got their season off to a perfect start with a quality performance, dom-inating the game from the start.

Manager Stuart Henderson had to make some changes as Lewis Dawe was suspended and Dan Evans had not recovered from a knee injury, Dave Hallett moved from midfield into the middle of the back line alongside Warren Dawe.

The home team played some delightful football, passing the ball with accuracy at pace. They missed several opportunities to open the scoring with Hobbs and the lively Rosenquest going close before Rogers hit the post with a fine effort.

It took the visitors 23 minutes for their first serious threat on the home goal, when Josh Oak was called upon to make a smart save from Walton.

The Lambs finally broke the deadlock when, from a corner kick, Warren Dawe rose majestically and powered home a header into the top corner of the net. The home team doubled their lead on the half hour when another great move saw Hobbs and Krac exchanging passes that led to Crago scoring from 15 yards.

Ten minutes later from a free kick Crago’s shot was blocked, the ball fell to Warren Dawe who made no mistake as he slotted the ball home from eight yards. Tavistock made it four before the interval, following another flowing move that saw Steve Rogers provided the perfect pass to put Glynn Hobbs in on goal; he calmly slotted the ball passed the advancing keeper into the net.

The second half continued as the first ended with the home team completely dominating the game. Ivybridge battled hard and always tried to play good football, but failed to match the heights of the passing game of the home team.

Ten minutes into the half the Lambs made it five - Ricki Shepherd produced a great through ball to once again to put Hobbs in on goal, once again he made no mistake and fired the ball home from 18 yards.

Ivybridge were awarded a free kick 23 yards out, but Hanran’s shot flew over the bar. Lambs manager Henderson made some changes on the hour, when Vincent and Wheeler replaced the impressive Rosequest and Shepherd.

Ivybridge then had their best spell in the game, in the 70th minute Youlden shot over from 20 yards. Two minutes later the same player dragged his shot wide of the target when well placed.

In the 75th minute good work by Jason Vincent saw his pass rifled home by Hobbs from 18 yards to complete his hat trick. Eight minutes later Hobbs became provider when his cross found Vincent, who made no mistake as he flashed the ball home.

In the dying minutes a long ball from goal keeper Josh Oak saw Hobbs out pace the visitor’s defence and he made no mistake as he slotted the ball home past the advancing keeper. Ivybridge continued to show real spirit and Oak was called on to make a really good save from Casey in order to keep a clean sheet.

This was a really good team performance with some top class performers, Hallett did really well at the back alongside the impressive Dawe. Wing backs Cross and Robins were terrific. Shepherd, Rogers and Krac were outstanding in midfield controlling this area of the park.

Rosenquest, Hobbs and Crago caused the visitors defence all sorts of problem throughout the game, with substitutes Vincent and Wheeler looking very comfortable. There were many really good performances but man of the match was Glynn Hobbs who scored four goals. It should be remembered that Ivybridge are in the process of rebuilding their team having lost a number of players during the summer transfer fest.

This takes nothing away from Tavistock’s performance; however, there will be much tougher tests in the coming weeks, but if this level of play can be maintained then the season will be a good one.