South West Women’s premier

Bishop Lydeard ladies 2

Callington Town ladies 2

DESPITE coming back from two goals down to grab another decent away point, Callington ladies live to regret numerous missed chances to take all three points in Somerset at high-flying Bishop’s Lydeard.

The first half saw the away side playing up the incline and after eight minutes they fashioned their first good opportunity when Amy Hemingway flashed the ball across the face of goal, just out of reach of her fellow forward Chloe Williams. Minutes later Callington brought a good save out of the home keeper when Eleri Griffiths fired a low shot from a tight angle which was stopped by the goalie’s legs.

Despite the positive start and the away side creating the best chances, Lydeard still looked dangerous with their experienced midfielder Holly Miller proving difficult to pick up. At the other end, Lydeard’s keeper came to their rescue once again when she dived at the feet of Williams to deny a goal-scoring chance from just six yards.

Then on 20 minutes, Lydeard created their best chance as their left winger squared the ball across the goal but nobody was on hand to finish it off. Five minutes later they opened the scoring when an under-hit back-pass from Town’s full-back caused Rowe to slide out to make her clearance, before Lydeard then capitalised on two failed attempts to win the ball inside the box, and Abigail Parr finished well off the inside of the far post to make it 1-0.

At the other end Callington created two more excellent chances to pull level before the break. One came when Hemingway crossed for Griffiths but the young striker was not close enough to convert what would have been a sure tap-in.

Hemingway herself was then denied by another good save by the keeper. 

The second half started badly for the visitors as once again they were the masters of their own downfall. This time a poor pass from central defence went straight to an unmarked Lydeard midfielder, before the ball was played to Amber Guy-Kemp. The striker lifted the ball over Rowe brilliantly to put her side two goals to the good.

 From the restart, it was then all Callington for the next 20-25 minutes, as they laid siege going down the slope and there were good chances for Williams and Kat Marment.

Eventually the heavy pressure told as Hemingway crossed into the box, before the defender mis-judged the flight of the ball and allowed Lucy Jones to volley home an unstoppable effort from 12 yards.

 The goal lifted Callington further and the waves of attacking play continued down the hill. Hemingway and Jones both saw shots saved by the keeper before five minutes from time, Town had their deserved equaliser. Griffiths picked out Marment with a pin-point cross and the striker guided the ball past the keeper with the inside of her boot to jubilant celebrations.

Callington tried to push hard for the winner in the dying minutes, but Lydeard stood firm to share the points

Town manager Adam McPherson said: ‘It was obviously great work by our girls to come back from two goals, but the feeling post-match was not one of elation because given how many clear chances we created, we were really gutted not to get the win. It was probably the most chances we’ve created in a league game all season, so it’s frustrating from that perspective.

‘There were plenty of positives we can take from it though and we will focus on those as well. We pushed a team who were top of the table all the way and we’ve still not lost since the very start of the season.’