Okehampton Colts 12

Wiveliscombe 12

THE visitors were unbeaten this season and looked sharp from the kick off. Okehampton?s forwards put the opposition under pressure with a dominant line out and good phase play.

Searle, Dutfield and Ellis provided an immovable front row with Young and Turner completing the tight 5.

Mark Shields made an early break in the centre with support from Chris Martin but strong cover tackles snuffed out the attack. Continual pressure caused Wiveliscombe to creep offside but the kick at goal was missed.

From the restart Tom Powell caught the drop out and set up quick ruck ball. This was passed to Dean Beardon on the right wing. He was tackled just short of the line but skilfully kept the ball alive and successive inside passes found Mike Young at full speed on the angle to dive over for the try. Ian Sercombe converted.

The visitors replied quickly with an excellent move upfield and despite a try saving tackle by the fullback, ball was recycled and a short drive gave the try in the corner.

Okehampton?s forwards worked downfield and Dean Beardon was tackled just short of the tryline for a second time and the half ended 7-5 to Okehampton.

The second half was equally tight with both sides playing entertaining rugby. Bennett, Webb and Cox provided a powerful back row with strong tackling and tight support play, Quick and Sercombe at half back controlled possession well and tackled strongly. Wiveliscombe could not break through the back line and kicked deep but failed to find touch.

Ball was run back by Herrod-Taylor, recycled in the ruck with Mark Shields carving through the tackles but failing to reach the line and passing to the supporting Tom Powell for a try in the corner.

Wiveliscombe seemed sure of two tries but were unlucky to be stopped on both occasions by last ditch tackles and good forward support.

Soon however a penalty 10 metres from the try line led to a converted try from a set move, cutting the home defence in two.

The last 10 minutes were tense with both sides coming close to scoring. As the whistle blew for full time Wiveliscombe were still unbeaten and both sides deserved the draw.