A PLAN to build more than 100 homes on a greenfield site on the edge of Tavistock was given the go ahead on appeal this week, after two years of debate.

West Devon Borough Council refused the outline application by 3H Investments Ltd for residential development of up to 110 houses on land north east of Redmoor Close on Butcher Park Hill when the plan came before councillors in October last year. In December the developers lodged an appeal with the Secretary of State to try to get the decision overturned, suggesting that due to an already approved scheme several years ago for 52 holiday lodges on the site, the principle of development had already been accepted.

An inquiry was held in June this year, which saw protesters standing outside West Devon Borough Council offices waving placards. Several residents spoke at the inquiry on behalf of residents against the plan.

Resident Maggie Stokes told the planning inspector they wanted to focus on traffic, road safety, surface drainage, flood risk and the proposed development’s impact on Tavistock World Heritage Site status.

She gave evidence of traffic surveys, highlighting that heading to the area goes through Bedford Square at ‘the heart of our heritage town’ into an edge-of-town environment as it merges into open countryside, on a narrow road unsuitable for heavy traffic.

The appeal decision was made on Tuesday. The planning inspector, Sarah Housden, said in her appeal decision: ‘In summary, the appeal scheme would conflict with Local Plan Policy H31 and Core Strategy SP7 which sets out the development strategy for the borough.

However, in the absence of a five-year supply of housing land, these important considerations, along with the other factors identified that weigh against the development, do not significantly and demonstrably outweigh the matters outlined that are in its favour, particularly the delivery of housing including affordable housing. Overall, therefore, the appeal proposal would represent sustainable development in the terms of the framework when read as a whole. For the reasons outlined and having regard to all other matters raised, I conclude that the appeal should be allowed.’

West Devon Borough Councillor for Tavistock North Cllr Jeff Moody was disappointed with the result.

He said: ‘I am very concerned by the inspector’s decision. In particular, I have very serious concerns regarding the provision of a footpath down the cutting which will drastically reduce the width of the road through what is a very enclosed and dark tunnel.

‘Even on the site visit when trying to cross the road at the proposed crossing point near to Redmoor Close, the difficulty in seeing cars coming down the hill through the dark cutting was very apparent,’ he said.

‘I also raised the point that in the previous planning appeal decision for 52 caravans, the inspector allowed that appeal, because the appellant successfully argued and proved that there was a need for “holiday” accommodation, but he also went on to say that the site was “unsuitable for a residential development” and that the development would be for “no more than 52 caravans”.’

He said the applicant’s highways consultants had only concentrated on the traffic effect on the A386 to Plymouth and not any of the surrounding residential streets.In response to the appeal decision, Councillor Philip Sanders, leader of West Devon Borough Council, said: 'I am bitterly disappointed by the decision to allow the appeal. Although the planning inspector found that the council does not have a five year land supply, there were robust reasons for refusal and residents vehemently opposed the development. Officers and members will be giving careful consideration to the reasons provided.'