Cornwall Council seeks urgent confirmation on EU funding

By Jake Chown  
Friday 24th June 2016 11:06 am
Share
()

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

FOLLOWING the result of yesterday’s referendum vote Cornwall Council is now seeking urgent confirmation from ministers on EU funding allocated to Cornwall.

The council said it was reassured by the ’leave’ campaign that a decision to leave the EU would not affect the EU funding which had already been allocated to the county and that Cornwall would not be worse off in terms of the investments it receives. The council is now seeking urgent confirmation that this is still the case.

Cornwall Council will also be studying the impact of this decision on Cornwall, both now and in the future.

Because of Cornwall’s relatively weak economy, compared to the rest of Europe, Cornwall has received significant amounts of funding from the EU over the past 15 years and the council will now b seeking confirmation that this allocation, based on need, will continue in the future.

John Pollard, the leader of Cornwall Council, said: ’Now that we know the UK will be leaving the EU we will be taking urgent steps to ensure that the UK Government protects Cornwall’s position in any negotiations.

’We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the EU programme which has averaged £60-million per year over the last ten years.’

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0