Throgmorton Cup first round Buckfastleigh Rangers 1 Callington Town 3 NEITHER side had managed a victory so far this season. But Buckfastleigh came into the game in confident mood, having read the list of defeats for Callington, culminating in Wednesday evening?s 9-1 mauling at Priory Parc. On a difficult pitch, both sides found it difficult gaining their footing in the opening minutes. Although Callington had the better of the early exchanges, it was the home side who took the lead on 16 minutes, courtesy of a free kick awarded 20 yards out. Brett Easterbrook launched an unstoppable shot that cannoned into the net off the right hand post of Town keeper Jay Richmond. But the lead was short-lived, however, as Callington fought back in dramatic style and levelled three minutes later. Mark Channings began the move with a shot from the edge of the area that cannoned off the foot of the right hand post, and finished it with a close range tap in after the home defence made a mess of clearing the ball. Callington grew in confidence from this early reply, and deservedly took the lead with a wonderfully worked goal nine minutes from the break. A stunning five man move starting in their own half ended with Dan Alderton crossing from wide on the right for Ian Collacott to open his account with a stunning header from eight yards out. After the break, Buckfastleigh had a purple patch of their own but found Richmond in the Town goal in amazing form as he produced a series of fine saves. Again, as the half continued, the visitors re-found their form and gained the killer third goal 15 minutes from full time when Dan Moore fired home courtesy of a deflection that left Stuart Furay stranded in the Rangers goal. Callington now look forward to a home clash with Division One West leaders Mousehole at Ginsters Marshfield Parc on Saturday which will be an excellent opportunity to continue their improved form. Rowett Insurance East Cornwall League Cup group B Callington Town 3 Polperro 2 WITH their first team colleagues gaining their first victory across the border in Devon, Callington Town?s young second team emulated their team-mates with a fine victory over visiting Polperro in the League Cup at Ginsters Marshfield Parc. Teenage striker Ben Ridgemont opened the scoring on 15 minutes when he was first to react to a Ben Edmundson shot that cannoned off the post. Polperro were soon level through Brett Olver but it was the home side who went into the break ahead when another teenager, Sam Shepherd, converted a good chance to put his side 2-1 ahead. Town keeper Colin Andrews came to his side?s rescue early in the second half when he saved a penalty and this was the fillip that the home side needed as Ridgemont added a third late on. Although a minute later, Brad Callendar scored a spectacular own goal after confusion in the Callington defence, the home side held on to gain a vital first win.