TAVISTOCK fire crew were called to a fire at a house in Bere Alston last week.

Investigations found the source of the fire was an extension lead running from one end of a bedroom to the other. The fire did not spread because the homeowner closed all doors, confining the fire to the bedroom.

The incident occurred on November 27. An appliance from Tavistock was sent to the fire, which was extinguished using a hose reel and breathing apparatus.

l AN urgent appeal for volunteers to train as firefighters was this week issued by Bere Alston Fire Station.

Sub-officer Colin Shaw said manning levels of the retained crew were ?desperate?.

Mr Shaw said: ?We?ve had quite a sustained advertising campaign for some time, but we still haven?t had enough replies ? it?s a desperate situation.?

Anyone in the area with some spare time and interested in finding out more should go along to Bere Alston Fire Station on a Tuesday evening.